Lifeguarding Course, American Red Cross
Do you like being outdoors, swimming, and going to the beach? This class will prove to be a great investment of your time and money!
- To enroll you must be at least 15 years old before the last scheduled session.
- The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services personnel take over.
- To participate in the course, you must be able to pass prerequisite skills evaluation that includes the following:
- Swim 550 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breast-stroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Brick retrieval.
- Under water swim.
- The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on Sunday, June 19th from 10am - 11:30am at Mashpee/Wakeby Pond.
- Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
- To successfully complete the course, you must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios and pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
- The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity.
- Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Waterfront Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
- Schedule for class: (30 hours total over one week)
- June 20th - 24th (9am - 3pm) Classroom portion will be 9am - noon at the Mashpee Town Hall. Hands on instruction will be held at Attaquin Park (Mashpee/Wakeby Pond) in the afternoon.
- Location: Mashpee Town Hall & Mashpee/Wakeby Pond - (Attaquin Park Town Beach)