Karate (Grade K - 6 & Grade 7th - Adult)
Isshinryu karate is an Okinawan based karate system formally created in 1956 by its founder Tatsuo Shimabuku. Renshi Cindy Adelstein, a fourth degree black belt in the system, has been studying Isshinryu for over 20 years. It is both an honor and a responsibility for Renshi Adelstein to bring Isshinryu to Cape Cod.
- The Isshinryu system sets itself apart from other martial arts with the use of a vertical fist, strong rooted stances and straight line techniques.
- These attributes make Isshiinryu a more “street wise” system. Its techniques and sensible approach make this system a perfect combination of self defense and traditional martial arts concepts.
- For our Little Dragons program we will focus on directions, discipline, self-discipline, safe stranger, stranger danger as well as a bully buster curriculum.
- For our Jaguars, we will build on these skills by adding in conditioning, sport fitness and light contact sparring techniques.
- Location: KC Coombs Gym
- Fee: $52 (10 weeks) for residents, $62 for non-residents
- Additional gear may be necessary as the student reaches intermediate ranks. This may include sparring equipment and a traditional bo staff. Additional gear will be the responsibility of the student.
- Instructor: Renshi Adelstein
- Masks will be required and participants will be encouraged to maintain 6 feet of separation between one another.
- The Mashpee Recreation Department is working closely with the Board of Health and following the latest COVID information released by the State of Massachusetts. We will continue to monitor the Town of Mashpee case numbers while implementing all guidelines put forth by the state. Therefore, we reserve the right to discontinue any program at any time should the town or state feel it is in the best interest of the health and safety of our community. Please take the time to review each programs modifications that have been implemented to ensure all our participants safety. We encourage you to contact the Recreation Department directly with any questions or concerns that you may have at 508-539-1416